There are two major complementary aspects to Industry Safety that are beginning to converge thanks to technological advances, among other factors. Safety and Security are such concepts.
Industrial Safety and Risk Prevention
As far as safety is concerned, S²R covers the areas of:
- Industrial safety (processes and facilities) under Industry 4.0 paradigm.
- Safety and occupational risk prevention.
- Protective equipment and safety systems.
- Environmental Safety.
- Transportation Safety (dangerous goods).
These areas are dealt with along the three major pillars of the European SafeFuture strategy:
- Safe Production, product safety and safety products.
- Safe Infrastructures (plants, distribution networks) and transport (road, rail …) and proper management of ageing assets.
- Safe Energy (renewables: new processes and facilities and new risks) (Safe Energy).
Within all this, we have multiple safety elements, technologies and business sectors: instrumentation, sensors and detection systems, inspection techniques and non-destructive testing, certification, monitoring systems, RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintenance and Safety), reliability and maintenance, risk analysis, methodologies (HAZOP…), Occupational Risk Assessment, safety culture, PPE and collective protection systems, fire prevention, intelligent and safe work environments, etc.
Asset Security and Infrastructure Protection
At S²R, Corporate Industrial Security also covers different areas:
- Safety-security integration.
- (Critical) Infrastructures Protection.
- Crisis and emergency management.
- Resilience and business continuity.
- Cybersecurity (industrial/production control systems, SCADA).
For each of the above, and as each is adapted to specific sectors or circumstances, consideration is also given to different areas of innovation and R & D:
- Innovation in Safety Services and Companies.
- Human and Organizational factors for safety/security.
- Civil protection and emergencies.
- Technologies for physical security (surveillance, detection, alarm systems, devices, identification, monitoring, access, etc.).
- Security of information systems.
- Security in smart cities.
- Cybersecurity for Energy Networks (Smart-Grids, Smart-meters) and other networks providing essentials (water, gas …).
- Security of the supply chain (transport).
- Protection of Know-how and industrial property.
- Infrastructure Protection (CIP).
- Security Plans and CIP Law.
- Methodologies and standards.
- Integrating safety & security: Integrated Security.